Monday, April 2, 2012

Popeye's Holy Discontent

This past weekend was the Nebraska Kidney Association's 'Kidney Cruise'. The fundraising 'cruise' is a dinner event complete with a silent and live auction. My wife is the development director for the NKA and did a great job putting the fantastic evening together along with her event committee.

Some folks dress up in costume for the dinner so we had Paul Teutul Sr from 'American Chopper' (an absolute dead ringer), Dog the Bounty Hunter (complete with long blonde hair), the Monopoly man, Dano from Hawaii 5-O, Kim Kardashian among others and our costume contest winners, Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi- they won in a dance off (seemed a bit unfair to the staid Monopoly Man).

Sherri and I went as Popeye and Olive Oyl. At first when I was given the sailor cap, because of my size, I thought I was going to be the skipper from Gilligan's Isle. Then I realized she wasn't dressing up as Ginger - she was dressing in a long skirt, boots and a log sleeved top - Olive Oil is pretty conservative. My giant lymphodema arm made for a good post-spinach Popeye, complete with an anchor tattoo. I realize Popeye isn't politically correct these days with his tattoo and pipe-smoking and penchant for slugging it out with others but I went with it anyway.

I do admit to eating more than my fair share of the spinach dip during the evening. Playing Popeye though, I was reminded of his famous line.... 'that's all I can stands, I can't stands it no more!' and what I had read by Bill Hybels in his book 'Holy Discontent' about Popeye and his famous statement. Bill writes that, 'life just doesn't have to be the way that most people experience it.' He asks, 'What is it that you can't stands?'

He goes on to remind us that we were created in Christ Jesus to do good works (Eph 2:10) and that 'if you are alive today then there is a specific work that you are expected to do.' Don't opt out of the good works God has called you to do! What is it that you 'can't stands', what is it you are called to do??? Hybels calls us to dismantle our apathy and not back down from our Holy Discontent!

Have the attitude that 'I will not be in a world where this reality continues to be true'. Hybels calls us to act with 'MASSIVE ENTHUSIASM and PERSISTANCE and INTENSE FOCUS. He goes on to write, 'When you charge towards your Holy Discontent with boundless optimisism and energy, you become the best kind of contagious.' It is critical that you engage.

Today, Popeye, Bill Hybels and I encourage you to 'stands it no more'. Get out there and act on your Holy Discontent. God plans to use 'every ounce' of what you've been through for His good. So take your spinach, get in the Word, and then be a do-er of the Word! When you really can't stands it no more, and take action, you too will be a hero worth remembering!

Blest Regards,
kp

No comments:

Post a Comment